A collection of various GIS related links, information and other GIS blogs.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Wine and Location Mapping

Corked a bottle of wine the other evening. We end up with a wide variety of wines because my wife likes to buy based on how fun or interesting the labels are. Hey, what do I care - I end up with a lot of bottles to enjoy!

So, pulled out this cork - a man-made cork - and showed it to my wife because there was a graphic of El Capitan on it. She grew up backpacking in Yosemite so I thought she'd get a kick out of it.

Wasn't I surprised when she handed it back to me and said I should look at it again.

Under the Half Dome graphics it says "Adventure Tool #12"
Then "GPS Hike" and the coordinates for the base of El Capitan.

Here are the directions:

  1. 37* 43' 30" Latitude
  2. 115* 38' 00" Longitude
  3. Look up at El Capitan

That's kind of fun. I wonder what the other 11 are and if they are all GPS related.

This wine is from Red Wood Creek - www.redwoodcreek.com

Ahh - the website answers my question from above. Some of the corks are GPS (probably a lot of them), one is a fishing bobber, etc... More here: http://www.redwoodcreek.com/consumer.html

No comments: