Paul Dodd of ESRI Technical Marketing recently posted a utility on ArcScripts that monitors your critical services and will e-mail you if a service goes offline.
The Service Monitor script uses a combination of public-domain/freeware utilities and a configuration file in which you list the services you want to be monitored. With minimal effort, you can schedule the Service Monitor to run using the Windows Scheduler.
- Specify the URL for a service WSDL or web site to monitor (even include user authentication if needed)
- Specify a day of the week or time window for maintenance of a service
- Specify days of the week that you don't want the service to be monitored
- Specify e-mail recipients for each service or a group of services
Optionally you can override other script defaults like:
- Retry limits, retry delay, and send e-mail limits
- E-mail Subject line and From origin
- E-mail server
- Log file location